Sunday, August 29, 2010

Re: Question about Using the App Store Volume Purchase Program

Had a long talk with our Apple rep on Friday afternoon and now have a pretty
good understanding of how this works.

Essentially it is an honor system when it comes to "labs" of iPads. A lab
(or cart) of iPads is imaged off of one computer's iTunes account and
whatever apps are on that computer get imaged out to all the synced iPads.

So for example, say you want 20 copies of Pages on a lab of iPads.

1. The school's ASVPP program manager purchases 20 copies of Pages from an
Apple website created for this program.
2. The program manager distributes a code obtained from this website to
whoever is in charge of the master computer for the 20 iPads.
3. That person purchases one copy of an app from the App store with the code
supplied by the ASVPP manager.
4. That single purchased copy is pushed out to all the managed iPads when
they are synced.

There is an Apple webinar this Thursday which is supposed to go over all of
this in great detail. The URL is:
http://www.apple.com/education/tuneinseries/

Fred

--