Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Re: Sysprep with Win 7

Win7 and Vista both use an Unattend.xml file to control just about every aspect of the setup. For Windows 7, you will need to download the Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7 ([
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=696DD665-9F76-4177-A811-39C26D3B3B34&displaylang=en ]download from MS) and use the System Image Manager to create your Unattend. The documentation is quite good, but there are so many settings it
can easily become overwhelming. Here's some info on adding a machine to the domain using the unattend: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730845(WS.10).aspx

If you have any questions, feel free to email me- if I don't know the answer, hopefully I will be able to point you in the right directions. We moved to Vista quickly and were able to release 7 as early as last August (when the VL media was released)
due in part to help from LaptopSchools.com and their imaging workshop- a real must for anyone looking to deploy Windows 7 in an educational environment (http://www.k12workshop.com/).

Bryan M. Berretta
Assistant Director of Technology
Lausanne Collegiate School - Memphis, TN
http://www.laptopinstitute.com
"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education." Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education