Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Re: Looking for international Skype partners

Hi Bernadette -

I run an online community for finding global project partners:
http://globaleducation.ning.com/. We have over 3200 members from the US and
abroad and the group is comprised of K12 teachers, college and university
folks and many non-profit employees. If you post in the discussion forum
here, you might find some partner schools and there is also a sub-group of
people interested in exploring uses of Skype in classrooms:
http://globaleducation.ning.com/group/skype.

Hope this helps,

Lucy Gray

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Bernadette Roche <
Bernadette.Roche@oakhilldayschool.org> wrote:

> As a whole school, we are studying various parts of the globe in Social
> Studies for the next two months. Each grade has a different continent
> to focus on: Kindergarten - Australia, 1st - Africa, 2nd - Europe, 3rd -
> South America, 4th - Asia, 5th - ancient Middle East, 6th - ancient
> Egypt, 7th - ancient Greece and Rome.
>
> I thought it would be fun and interesting for students to use Skype or
> Voice Thread to share with people on those continents. The project is
> somewhat open ended since A) this is the first time I've done this, and
> B) it somewhat depends on the connections I make. The concept I'm
> tossing around is the idea of a short conversation about similarities
> and differences between us and them. I plan on asking my students what
> they would like to learn from people who live elsewhere, but I don't
> want to ask my students and get them excited about it if I don't have a
> connection.
>
> I've got a couple teachers already in England, France and Australia who
> have signed on to cover Kindergarten and 2nd grade. I wondered if you
> might have connections to help with the other continents. For 5th-7th,
> it's a bit different since they are studying ancient world history, so
> it would be cool to talk about the ruins, archeology, the Greeks,
> Romans, Egyptians, Sumerians, etc. that lived there. My ultimate dream
> would be connect to an expert, like an Egyptologist for example, and
> allow kids to ask questions.
>
> I know this is very vague and I'm sorry about that. I am just throwing
> a bunch of ideas out there to as many connections as I can think of to
> see what might "stick." If you think you could help, I would REALLY
> appreciate it!
>
>
>
>
>
> Bernadette Roche
>
>
>
> Director of Technology
>
> Oakhill Day School
>
> www.oakhilldayschool.org
>
> bernadette.roche@oakhilldayschool.org
>
> 816.436.6228
>
>
>
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
> non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
>

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L