Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Re: Pre-Primary Report Cards

Eleanor --

I'm late to this thread, but I would strongly advise NOT changing to an =
archived-Word-document system. We use narratives instead of letter =
grades, and we used to use such a system: the problem was that Word =
documents are "dead" data, whereas an SIS or a database allow you to =
search, categorize, etc. Pulling up all the records for a particular =
student is much, much easier with a database/SIS than it is if you need =
to open six separate word documents...and that's just for starters. We =
just this year switched over to a database, and while the switch-over =
took some time and patience, it was definitely worth it.

Mitch

*****************************
Mitch Bostian
Head of School
The Berkeley School
1310 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702

(510) 665-8800 ex. 102
mbostian@theberkeleyschool.org

www.theberkeleyschool.org

On Mar 26, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Kristen Dennison wrote:

> Eleanor,
> Does your Pre-Primary write a long narrative report? What we did at my =
old
> school was use our FM database so that we had all the fields for name, =
etc
> filled in and then had one, huge field called "narrative". Teachers =
just
> wrote their report right in that field. Would that work for you?
>=20
> Kristen Dennison
>=20
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Eleanor Brown
> <eleanor.brown@pinecrest.edu>wrote:
>=20
>> Our Pre-Primary division currently uses a report card handled by our =
SIS -
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874]