Friday, March 19, 2010

Re: Creating curriculum maps for student use

On this topic there is an interesting chapter in Heidi Hayes Jacobs' new=
ASCD book, Curriculum 21. The chapter is by David Niguidula of Rhode Isl=
and, and it is called "Digital Portfolios and Curriculum Maps." I just ga=
ve a tid-bit of the chapter to my upper school (9-12) faculty yesterday an=
d challenged them to give their students the map of a unit they are about=
to start or finish and use the map to have students reflect on either wha=
t they already know and know how to do that is upcoming -- or to reflect=
on how well they have learned the content and mastered the skills set out=
on the map by the end of the unit. We will see if any one takes up my ch=
allenge! We have been mapping for 5 or 6 years by now, and I am looking=
for ways to keep mapping fresh and pertinent. =20

Best wishes to all,=20
Margaret Bowles
Associate Head for Academic Affairs
Viewpoint School