Monday, March 22, 2010

Re: Creating curriculum maps for student use

Gary,

I think it depends on for whose use the map is created. A map is just an
abstraction of reality which helps the map user more effectively navigate
through the complex reality being represented. I would imagine that Dewey
and Montessori might be quite interested in maps designed to be used by
students to help them plan and navigate their own learning paths.

Another great resource on constructivist approaches to education is a little
closer to home than Reggio Emilia. The EdVisions schools have been working
on a student-centered project-based approach to learning for close to twenty
years. The video on the EdVisions home page (
http://www.edvisionsschools.org/custom/SplashPage.asp) does a great job of
explaining their approach, and perhaps most relevant to this discussion, how
student-designed projects still need to cover curricular content specified
by the state of Minnesota. The curricular coverage section of the video
starts about 18 minutes in.

Fred