Friday, March 19, 2010

Re: Does a live operator answer your school phone?

Good morning,

I guess we deviate from the norm on this one. We use Cisco CallManager
with an auto-attendant set up. Once the auto-attendant picks up, the
caller has the option of pressing a number to choose one of our
departments (Admissions, Bursar, Attendance, etc.), directly input an
extension, choose an option to hear directions to either of our
campuses, or press 0 to talk to our receptionist. Although some people
were hesitant to move to this system, the response has been pretty
positive over the 2 years we've been using it. There are some people
that automatically press 0 and have our receptionist route the call, but
there are many that either know the extension of the person they're
looking for, or find it on our website, and find it faster and easier
with the automated system. The other bonus for us is that it eliminated
the need to have a person dedicated to answering phones at our lower
school campus, which is smaller with fewer staff than our ms/us campus.

Regards,

Charles Polizano
Network Administrator
Poly Prep Country Day School