Thursday, March 18, 2010

Active Directory 2003 Files Disappearing

The last couple of days files seem to mysteriously be disappearing out
of folders in shared folders.

The first two times it happened, I blamed the kids, but the third one I
know it was there and then gone.

All of these were student files, and the folders were still there but
every file in the folder was gone. I don't do backups of the student
files, but I ran an undelete program and it didn't even register the
files had ever been deleted.

Any idea what could cause this? We have had some weird network glitches
lately, so I have been tightening security (such as turning off access
for student users after 5 and on weekends). But, I can't imagine
anything I have done would be causing files to just vanish.

Thanks,

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L