Friday, March 19, 2010

Re: Creating curriculum maps for student use

Interesting idea. As far as the software, lately I've been wondering if a
curriculum mapping solution couldn't be rolled into a CMS
(Blackboard/Moodle/Schoology). Many teachers who use a course management
system (CMS) post their assignments on there, and some even put up lessons.
The idea is that teachers would be using it to focus on the details of the
course, but it would automatically generate a course map, timeline, and
curriculum overview out of the items. There would need to be some kind of
"tagging" system so items that get posted could be categorized
appropriately.

This would allow students and teachers to see both the course content and
the maps. As far as I know, no CMS offers this feature - but I'm putting it
out there as food for thought. It would be an interesting challenge for
such a company to take on!

-Melissa

Melissa Tredenick
Director of Learning & Instruction