Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Looking for international Skype partners

As a whole school, we are studying various parts of the globe in Social
Studies for the next two months. Each grade has a different continent
to focus on: Kindergarten - Australia, 1st - Africa, 2nd - Europe, 3rd -
South America, 4th - Asia, 5th - ancient Middle East, 6th - ancient
Egypt, 7th - ancient Greece and Rome.
=20
I thought it would be fun and interesting for students to use Skype or
Voice Thread to share with people on those continents. The project is
somewhat open ended since A) this is the first time I've done this, and
B) it somewhat depends on the connections I make. The concept I'm
tossing around is the idea of a short conversation about similarities
and differences between us and them. I plan on asking my students what
they would like to learn from people who live elsewhere, but I don't
want to ask my students and get them excited about it if I don't have a
connection.
=20
I've got a couple teachers already in England, France and Australia who
have signed on to cover Kindergarten and 2nd grade. I wondered if you
might have connections to help with the other continents. For 5th-7th,
it's a bit different since they are studying ancient world history, so
it would be cool to talk about the ruins, archeology, the Greeks,
Romans, Egyptians, Sumerians, etc. that lived there. My ultimate dream
would be connect to an expert, like an Egyptologist for example, and
allow kids to ask questions.
=20
I know this is very vague and I'm sorry about that. I am just throwing
a bunch of ideas out there to as many connections as I can think of to
see what might "stick." If you think you could help, I would REALLY
appreciate it!

=20

Bernadette Roche

=20

Director of Technology

Oakhill Day School

www.oakhilldayschool.org

bernadette.roche@oakhilldayschool.org

816.436.6228

=20


[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L