Friday, February 13, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills

This is a fascinating conversation. Here are my thoughts, for what they =
are worth...

I cam to Hotchkiss after a wonderful career teaching College English. =
Technology was an excellent tool for helping students manipulate and =
analyze texts. Programs like Zotero helped them compile better =
research; Google Docs helped them navigate collaborative writing; Second =
Life helped them explore literature on a deeper and more personal level. =
But, those wonderful tools were partnered with texts (Dante's Inferno, =
for example); the technology did not stand alone.

We should never sacrifice content at the altar of technology, but we =
should be realistic about the kinds of navigation and processing skills =
our students will need in college.

Beth

Beth Lynne Ritter-Guth
Educational Communication and Technology Facilitator
The Hotchkiss School
11 Interlaken Road
Box 800
Lakeville, CT 06039