Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills

This has been a wonderful thread to watch and I have been just crying that =
life is so busy at this time that I really could not engage in what is argu=
ably one of my favorite topics. However, I could not pass up this moment. T=
here has been much said about music, the process of learning music and the =
process of making music. I offer the following as things to consider when c=
onsidering what makes music, music. Apparently music is far more than melod=
y, rhythm, theory, counterpoint, scales, etc...

John Cage 4:33 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhUJagb7hL0E
(I love that he still turns to the concert master at the end for the congra=
tulatory handshake.)

Here is another offering from Cage. This one is for prepared piano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DVYsx5Di3bso

Then there is pointillism...Anton Webern http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DW=
KZt6nPrKJQ

Or Symphony op 21 by Webern http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DbBf2K4S4Nmk

Then there is synthesized music...Some purists cringe at the thought of wha=
t you can now do with electronic music. The idea that a modern keyboard is =
able to create the sounds of virtually any instrument through sampling then=
synthesizing the signal sends chills down many spines. Yet, I can't help b=
ut think what Mozart or Bach would have done with such instruments. Who is =
the Mozart or Bach of today?

Chris Bigenho
Director of Educational Technology
Greenhill School