Saturday, February 14, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Greg Kearney <kearney@tribcsp.com> wrote:

> Would we find t acceptable to have "5 step divers" that is we teach people
> to drive only one kind of car in only one kind of condition? So if it should
> rain or snow or should other drivers on the road do something unexpected
> they would be unable to cope? Would we accept that people have stickily note
> in cars telling them how to start them, how to put them into gear and how to
> work the accelerator.


Ha! The car is that one instrument that just about everyone wants to learn
how to play, and thus will move beyond the five steps almost immediately.
But I'm betting that in the beginning there's a lot of indoctrination of
five steps going on before Johnny or Susie gets to sit behind the wheel.

As I said earlier, I use the equivalent of a sticky note to remind me how to
change the time on the clock in our cars. I could probably use a few sticky
notes to remind me how to change the radio stations, how to deal with the
"fold and go" seats in the van, where the wiper fluid goes in each car, etc.
Things I don't do on a daily basis. And I have to admit that the fact that
the windshield wipers work differently in my wife's Alero than in my Town
and Country makes me crazy the minute it starts to snow or rain.


> I don't expect students to need to know how to program computers, but I
> think it reasonable to expect that they can take a skill learned on one
> program or platform and be able to apply it ton another. Which is why we
> force our students to us a different OS every time they come into the
> computer labs.


They can do it when they have to, but the simple fact of the matter is that
most of them don't have to, and will never have to.


> I have worked in hospitals around well educated people, some very bight,
> who are incapable of dealing with even the slightest change in a computer.


Ah...but this is why you are an *expert*, and perhaps being an expert has
given you an unrealistic expectation of what everyone else should know how
to do.
--

keg

========================================
Keith E Gatling
mailto:keith@gatling.us
http://www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.
========================================

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L