Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Re: Student Time Management

Bill,

I surely agree with you regarding your comments about "No such thing as a
must have application"

However, there are many issues that are shared by many one to one
initiatives and applications like eduplatform, simply pave the road for a
smoother ride, and no, it surely does not resolve all issues but surely the
most common ones. I am an "old school" advocate of Classroom Management
being a responsibility of the teacher not a software nor hardware. At the
end of the day Teachers need to find how to best apply their classroom
management skills and how to use the resources made available to them, of
course adapting them to their particular student population. My clients have
been very happy with eduplatform because they have a choice as to which of
the tools they use at any given moment, more importantly they find that
creating engaging lessons by integrating digital resources is the best way
to minimize disciplinary issues. There are many classroom management
software out there like Lanschool, Synchrounouseyes, Netop, net support that
make similar claims but I find that they are missing an important component
as it pertains to managing and creating content and distributing a variety
of resources together to attain a lesson objective, thus giving the teachers
the opportunity to author lessons that can be shared, reused and most
importantly aligned to the district standards.

Time management is definitely an issue when teaching, with or without
technology, From planning, to correcting student work to managing gradebook
entries, parent meetings, workshops, etc. so if there is a product that can
help address Time Management when it comes to teaching with computers I'm
certain many teachers would be willing to test their claims, hoping for a
solution to their time management concerns.

Giovanni

Giovanni Paoli, M.Ed.
Educational Consultant
Dreyfous & Associates