Friday, November 21, 2008

Re: Moving from Blackboard to Moodle

>From Moodle 1.7 onwards, if you're converting from Blackboard to Moodle,
you can export your course and then import the question pools into
Moodle using the Blackboard "POOL" type export format. It relies on XML
functions being compiled into your PHP. Note that you must first unpack
the exported zip file and provide Moodle with the appropriate .dat file.
Note that this version does not work with Blackboard Version 6 and
newer. (Use this format for ExamView 5 or 6)

However, it's always best to guesstimate the amount of time that it will
take to create again vs. the export / import. Sometimes it's just
better to start from scratch.

Hope this helps!

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 11:28 -0600, Karen Douse wrote:

> Has anyone made this migration? We have been using Blackboard for two years so do not have years and years of course materials archived. However, some of our teachers have enough of their class materials posted that we don't want them to have to start
> from scratch if there are issues in moving assignments, quizzes, etc. If anyone has been through this conversion, I'd really love to hear about the obstacles and talk to you if possible. The Moodle site and wiki have some info but it isn't terribly
> encouraging. Blackboard has just announced a 4% price increase for next year so now looks like a good time to make the move.
>
> Thanks - Karen
>
> Karen Douse
> Director of Library and Information Services
> Ann Scott Carell Library
> Harpeth Hall School
> 615-346-0116
> douse@harpethhall.org

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.
502 Fairview Avenue