Thursday, November 20, 2008

Re: Economic Recession and Tech Budgets

I'd have to agree with much of what Steve has said. We have already put off a round of
hardware purchases in favor of memory upgrades and will do so again next year. We've
examined software expenses and we will toss some, keep others, look to open source when
we can and experiment with other operating systems. But much of my budget is fixed:
internet connections, filtering and virus protection, firewall maintenance and critical
network hardware replacement. That costs twice my software licensing budget.
Preliminarily, it looks like we will trim at least 8% this year, and hold steady next
year.

On the brighter side without all the new installs, we will focus on Professional
Development and getting more and more of our teachers using the "toys" tools they have.
And better for the environment, better for my health, better for students as we all take
a breather from the next best thing.

David F. Withrow
Director of Technology
Harford Day School
Bel Air, Maryland 21014
voice: 410 879 2350 ex 33
fax: 410 836 5918
http://www.harfordday.org

The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
- Yogi Berra