Friday, November 21, 2008

Re: Economic Recession and Tech Budgets

Hi Steve,

I must admit, at a time like this, I am glad we have already gone
through any learning curve associated with Linux and open source.
However, necessity is the mother of invention and a catalyst for change.
For our community, Linux was the only option for 1:1 because we didn't
have 1:1 in the budget and the value outweighed the alternative of not
changing and staying with the labs.

I have talked to schools looking at two different ways to maintain or
increase service and lower costs. Two big pushes are open source and
virtualization. Virtualization requires more SAN and server but about
80% less than it used to. Thus, even people with reasonably small SANs
can get into the Desktop Virtualization game now.

Also, combine Linux and Virtualization and you've got one cost effective
solution! You've got to dig a little but VMware will even help you
tweak Linux clients to run Windows applications cleanly on them using
ThinApp. That means you can have your cake and eat it too (aside from
proprietary software costs.)

Take care,
Alex

Alex Inman