Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Re: Tips for Transitioning to Open Office

We have been using Open Office for 3 years now. We transitioned over
that time, giving people access to MS Office via Citrix but leaving only
Open Office on their laptops. Students picked up Open Office very
quickly. The biggest resistance was difficulty with graphs in Calc (the
Excel equivalent).

We only have a few people using the latest version of Open Office. It
is a major improvement! I am quite happy with it. However, the OOXML
file format from MS Office 2007 still gives me trouble with highly
formatted documents. If it gives Office 2003 troubles, it will give
Open Office 3 problems as well. I am not a fan of the OOXML file
format. I like the interface of Office 2007 but really don't like the
file format.

The interface of Office 2003 and Open Office are very similar. The
feature set, including mail merge and graphs has gotten much better.
I'm afraid I don't have enough Macs to speak to that transition,
specifically.

Good luck in your research, Steve!

Take care,
Alex