Thursday, November 13, 2008

Re: Distribution List Management

This dates my time on the Internet but I'm still using Majordomo (http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/) as my mailing list manager. I take care of lots of mailing lists with a variety of permission/participation rules ranging from completely open to closed and moderated. Been doing this since about 1985. Size of lists ranging from a handful to almost 5000 addresses.

One of the good (and bad for some people) things about Majordomo is that it's text driven. Part of what's good is that I can actually manage the mailing lists from my cell phone...

Written in Perl. Free with source code but not Open Source (GPL...)

If I were to start from scratch, I'd still look at Majordomo but I'd also take a very close look at Mailman (http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html). Web based. Written in Python. Open Source.

Hoover Chan chan@sacredsf.org
Technology Director
Schools of the Sacred Heart