Friday, November 14, 2008

Re: making time for professional development

Do your teachers have a "prep" period during the day? Our faculty usually
have a prep period during the day, but it is not the same period for
everyone. Consequently, a few faculty are available at every class period,
but not all are available at once. I offer faculty development classes
after school, but was faced with people who couldn't attend because of
after school sports, club activities, and so forth - so I decided to hold
training through out the day on a specific topic and faculty could drop in
as they were available. For example, on "Wiki Wednesday", I will repeat
the same basic items about Wikis and will answer questions all day long.
This allows faculty to drop in when they are available. I have snacks and
a sign-in sheet. So far this model seems to be working well. (But I think
it would only work if your teachers have a prep period.)

Good luck!

Catherine Wyman
Xavier College Prep
602-240-3163