Friday, November 7, 2008

Re: Policy for Faculty/Student Interaction on Virtual Gaming Sites?

Hi Maria,
We modified our Employee AUP to include the statement below.=20

"You must be aware of ethical and professional standards when
communicating with students outside school hours. This includes but is
not limited to the use of social networking sites and personal cell
phone use. On social networking sites, profiles must be set to private
and viewable by friends only. Teachers must not accept current students
as friends. Limit cell phone use to students as a last resort and only
for school related purposes."

We have had to continually modify our policies as the technology or
issues change. Our teachers helped with our revisions after considering
the recommendations of teachers unions, current news stories, and in
order to protect themselves, our students and our school. I imagine when
we begin using phones as instructional tools, it will be time to modify
it again.=20

A few other note-worthy considerations may include: documentation or log
of incident reports, content on personal devices brought to school or
school sponsored events and that the computing resources should not be
used for commercial purposes, product advertising, political lobbying,
or political campaigning.

Good luck,
Connie

Connie White