Friday, February 8, 2008

Re: Programming Curriculum in Middle School

Carol -

I'm researching/teaching introductory programming and computer science at a
non-profit organization (www.BFOIT.org). We are attempting to increase the
diversity in UC computer science and engineering programs, which means we
target female, African American, Hispanic, first-to-attend-college in their families,
etc... students. Because of this, our students tend to be those skeptical of
pursuing CS and engineering programs. And this has a major effect on how I
present the material. I want all students to see that programming (actually
structured thought) can be useful even if they decide not to pursue a career as
a programmer/computer scientist.

Checkout: http://www.bfoit.org/itp/itp.html

I bring it up only because you have mentioned an interest in a couple of
dialects of Logo. The course is based on a dialect that I'm working on. It's
intent is to prepare a student for AP CS, thus Java. So, it is written in Java
and has some Java-oriented concepts blended in with UC Berkeley Logo and
the multiple-turtles feature of Microworlds.

A word of warning: it is a work in progress, but it is also being used in public
schools - I get e-mail questions/suggestions every few days. I am nearing the
end of a comprehensive re-write and part of this pass includes providing an
"Instructor Notes" section.

You might be able to use bits/pieces of it with either Microworlds or Starlogo.
Also, since this is research on my part, I may be able to add more introductory
content if this is needed in your case, and you can provide the suggestions.

guy