Thursday, February 28, 2008

Re: Linux Migrations

Hi Joe,

I am not in the Mid-Atlantic area but have a lot of experience migrating
from Windows to Linux. We started the transition with our 1:1 program 3
years ago. We moved to Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED). We now
have Linux laptops in the hands of each teacher and student. We
provided (and continue to provide) access to Windows applications via
terminal services (Citrix). We did extensive study of the first year.
The baseline data and Whitepaper from IBM covers the first year. We
have continued to evaluate the program for consistency with our mission
and goals as well as user satisfaction.=20

We chose SUSE because I like the support I get from Novell and I REALLY
love Zen Linux Management!=20

You can find that data as well as my occasional musings about the
program at: http://linuxlaptops.blogspot.com=20

Take care,
Alex

Alex Inman