Thursday, February 21, 2008

Re: Jacob Smith posts - Blog Spamming (UNCLASSIFIED)

I have deleted my blog. It has been so much of a disappointmnet where you have accused me of making money (wordpress does though) and assumed many others. I am so sorry that our kids are growing up among such assuming educators .

"Johnson, Jason P Mr WRAMC_Wash DC" <Jason.Johnson3@amedd.army.mil> wrote: Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Dr. Smith,

The reaction you have received is due to the fact that, to all outward
appearances, your postings are a form of blog spamming. You have posted
your articles (typically link only) to this list and many other forums:

https://www.pta.org/bb/search.php?search_author=drjacob48&sid=f2ee3c4695
911e569105184a8e1df34b
http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2008/02/19/commuter-marriages-worth-the-stra
in/

The idea behind Blog spamming is that you increase the Google rank of
your pages by having many other authoritative sites with good rankings
refer to yours. You keep advertisements turned off so you can fly under
the ranking algorithms that check for this, and once your traffic grows
large enough, you turn on ads and reap a small windfall.

Given your questions in the WordPress forums it seems you are new to
this, and so I doubt this was your intent. But you also seem to be
ignoring the discussion oriented nature of this list and posting
monographs, which will not endear you to the community either. Finally,
trying to take members to task over their identity when they and their
schools are well known in the community will cause you to be viewed as a
troll or flamer.

Hopefully this is all just a misunderstanding, but if not, I am sure the
list managers will take note and act accordingly.

_J
PS: In the interest of full disclosure (since that appears to be a
concern of yours) I am former staff member of an independent school
(which is why I joined the list) and a current board member of an
independent school (which is why I stay on the list). Hence the reason
for my signature information not giving the appearance of actual
involvement in a school.

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net