Friday, February 22, 2008

Re: FirstClass to Exchange 2007

I've managed both FirstClass and Exchange and have found things to love =
and
hate about both. If you're interested in unified messaging (Fax, voice =
mail,
and e-mail all in one place), the FirstClass solution is pretty slick =
and
integrates nicely with the FC server. FC also has some nice =
collaboration
features (like chat) that may or may not be great in your particular
environment. That said, calendaring, remote access, and Blackberry
integration are strong suits for Exchange, and our administrators, at =
least,
can't imagine life without Blackberries. Educational pricing for =
Exchange is
pretty competitive, and in my experience is no easier or harder to =
manage
than FirstClass. (shrug) I really think the "best" solution for a =
given
school depends on the institution's communications culture and how it =
hopes
to direct that culture in the future

Good luck with the decision!

David

David Rossell
Administrator of Network Services and Planning
Norwood School
8821 River Rd.
Bethesda, MD 20817
(301) 841-2178