Monday, February 11, 2008

Re: question about discipline

I'm never a fan of putting a punishment spin on "service".

You might want to explore the "restorative justice" model.

Check out the wiki here to learn more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restorative_justice

You can also see how we use it here:
http://eaglerockschool.org/eagle_rock_online/index.asp

On 2/11/08, Lorri Carroll <lcarroll@hamdenhall.org> wrote:

> We had a group of juniors break a major school rule-- expulsion is really
> not an option. We are trying to come up with meaningful "punishments"
> and are exploring what other schools are doing. Out of school suspension
> seems like a vacation to this group of girls... Does anyone use Community
> Service as a way to make amends? work detail?
> any feedback would be appreciated...
>
> Lorri Carroll
> Director of Technology
> Hamden Hall Country Day School
> 1108 Whitney Avenue
> Hamden, CT 06517
> lcarroll@hamdenhall.org
> (203)752-2606
> cell (203) 215-9833

Dan Condon | Associate Director, Professional Development | Eagle Rock
School | 2750 Notaiah Road | Estes Park, CO 80517 | t. 970 586 7122 | m. 303
507 6431 | f. 970 586 4805 | www.eaglerockschool.org

This email is the property of Eagle Rock School & Professional Development
Center. This transmission may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
copying, distribution or use of the information contained herein (including
any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this
transmission in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer immediately. Thank you.