Friday, February 22, 2008

Re: FirstClass to Exchange 2007

I will add my two cents here.

I migrated from FirstClass to Exchange in part due to some similar issues
that David mentioned.

Other reasons to consider a switch:
* Calendaring in Exchange is much better than FirstClass, although I know F=
has made strides in this area. Group, department, and resource calendaring
are Outlook/Entourage=B9s strengths. Calendars in Sharepoint excellent.
* If you live in the Microsoft sphere and are considering Sharepoint, then
Exchange is a must. I believe that Sharepoint 2007 (nothing similar to
previous versions) will take off and have strong implications for schools.
* Yes FC does unified messaging but many VoIP providers don=B9t support them.
Everyone supports Exchange.
* OWA is much better than FirstClass web. If you want your students to use
web mail interface, this is a major consideration.
* Again, if you live in Microsoft sphere, AD integration is key and Exchang=
gets you a lot closer to single sign on.

Andrew J. Speyer
Director of Information Technology Services
Choate Rosemary Hall
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
[voice] 203.697.2105