Friday, February 22, 2008

Re: FirstClass to Exchange 2007

Agreed. One thing I'll say for FirstClass is that Exchange has not
out-of-the-box equivalent to the forums, which I find myself pining for - it
certainly nurtures a collaborative environment. Mailing lists just aren't
the same.

Also, I know it's propriety is sometimes a pain, but the easy setup of the
FirstClass Client saves a lot of troubleshooting - not to mention internal
documentation. I don't think I could ever say the same for Outlook. Ever.

On the other hand, IMAP or POP in FirstClass leaves something to be desired
- although that is a solution to the PDA question if you can do SMTP
securely. I also wasn't terribly thrilled with Calendering in FC. Never
used Voice or Fax functionalities.

On the Administration side, once I got used to FirstClass, I liked it much
better than Exchange. Although I wasn't using FirstClass in an AD
environment. I might go to Exchange simply for the AD tie-ins if I was
using MS servers. Folks hate a lot of passwords.

Jennifer Davenport
Director of Technology
Saddle River Day School
http://www.saddleriverday.org