Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Re: ISED on a Blog? Your thoughts?

It's interesting that we think of this list as a private community.
There are many people on the list who follow these discussions but only
infrequently (or never) offer a comment. In that respect we never really
knew who was reading the list or how private it ever was.=20

I agree that this is just another step toward collaborative learning -
sharing this on a blog is another form of being heard and learning from
each other.

Jenni Swanson Voorhees
Sidwell Friends School

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators
[mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Meany, Catherine
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:57 AM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: ISED on a Blog? Your thoughts?

Well, I guess I was naively still working under the assumption that this
was a private listserv where we could be open, honest and helpful to
each other, and the opinions, etc. were only shared with the group.
While I've been probably more open on some topics than I would have been
had I known/remembered I was being published on the Internet, I guess
there is no turning back. This is how it is. This is where it is not
only headed but has arrived.=20

What I mourn is the loss of a private community that can share and
cooperate openly, with some sense of privacy. I say this even more as a
technology person since we have for so long been lonely people in our
school and need the support and advice of colleagues. I know ISED is
more than tech people now, but tends to address many technology-related
issues.

The archives are public. It can't help but affect how, when and if we
respond to certain requests, and that's too bad. I find it amusing
because we always tell the kids to think before they post things on
Facebook, etc. Yet here we are, in some cases, baring our souls.=20

Thanks for the notice. It is a wake-up call!=20

Caveat emptor!
Cathy Meany
Boston Latin School

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.