Saturday, February 9, 2008

Re: Battery "best practices" in an 1:1 environment

Hi Jim,

I agree with the idea of quality over quantity and I certainly like the =
idea of reducing our carbon footprint. However, teachers need to be =
able to explore and experiment to discover quality ways to use the =
technology well in the classroom. Creating a standard that keeps laptop =
use reduced to 3 hours per day seems to be an excessive limitation on =
the exploratory creativity of classroom teachers and would require a =
significant degree of planning among the teaching team. A policy of =
this nature could also have a "chilling effect" of seeking to find and =
capture that "teachable moment." Doing so is to jeopardize the =
reliability of that battery being able to make it through the day. I =
absolutely applaud the effort to find ways to manage a 1:1 program on =
batteries but after doing this for 9 years in two different schools I =
haver personally given up on the fight. (I know...so defeatist!) :-) =
Good education is messy. So are laptop cords.

Take care,
Alex

Whitfield School
St. Louis, MO