Thursday, February 5, 2009

Re: ISED-L

Some students were using the email system for chat services. They
created large personal distribution list (200+) to chat with other
students. We had students complain that they were receiving a large
number of email since the participants were replying to all.

I call it the "student spam machine" because students were sending email
to other students who did not want to participate in the series of chain
emails. I was not referring to infected machines being used as spam
relays.

We looked at other email options such as Gmail for the students but they
also limit the number of recipients under 200. I found a few schools
that have a written policy for the number of recipients per email and 50
recipients per email was common.=20

I'm currently looking for an easy to use distribution list server that
can be used by school groups with over 10 members. If you use one
please forward the information.

Jason