Friday, February 13, 2009

Re: Google Earth - Historical Maps

At the request of many list members, here are the installation and basic
instructions for using the Rumsey Map Collection overlays in Google Earth.
I am not sure if the list allows for the sending of attachments but if
anyone wants these instructions in a word processing document, please let me
know and I will be happy to send a copy.
If anyone has suggestions on improving the instructions, I welcome the
comments.

Enjoy!
TJ

Background
Google and David Rumsey of Cartography Associates have teamed together to
provide historical map overlays for Google Earth. The overlays rely on the
Keyhole Markup Language (KML) standard for geographic information systems.
The current KML standard is KML 2.2 and is maintained by the Open
Geospatial Consortium (OGC).

Prerequisites
Google Earth 5.0 (http://earth.google.com/)

Installation of Rumsey Map Overlays
1. Launch Google Earth 5.0
2. Under the PLACES side bar menu, click Add Content
3. In the browser window in the main panel, paste the address to the Rumsey
Collection KMZ (http://www.davidrumsey.com/rumseycollection.kmz)
4. Select OPEN to import the Rumsey Collection KMZ into Google Earth
5. Rumsey Historical Maps should now be listed under Temporary Places under
the PLACES side bar menu
6. To permanently save the collection to Google Earth, click on the Rumsey
Historical Maps collection in the Temporary Places in the PLACES menu and
drag the collection to My Places in the PLACES menu

Displaying Rumsey Map Overlays
1. Connect to the Internet
2. Open Google Earth 5.0
3. In the PLACES menu under My Places, expand the Rumsey Historical Maps.
4. Select a map or maps from any of the sub menus by checking the box next
to the map name.
5. To manage the transparency of the map, use the slide bar under the PLACES
menu.
6. For additional Rumsey Map locator icons on the current map, select the
Map Finder option under Rumsey Historical Maps in the PLACES menu.

--
TJ Rainsford
E: tjrainsford@gmail.com