Monday, February 2, 2009

Re: email signatures

I am not a lawyer but generally, my understanding is that email disclaimers
such as "this message is for its intended recipient only" do not have any
practical force of law. I can make any assertions whatsoever in my email
such as, "By reading this email you agree to pay me $1000 or else!" Saying
it doesn't make it legal.

That said, it (can) sound cool. And some disclaimers about policies or
opinions may actually make some sense. There is quite a bit of stuff on the
internets on disclaimers courtesy of the Great Google.

Anyone else have a different read?

*Disclaimer*
The opinions of this email are mine and mine only. They may or may not
represent the views of my employer.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Curt Lieneck <clienec@ucls.uchicago.edu>wrote:

> I'm interested in hearing also if any schools have policies about
> forwarding e-mails with/without the consent of the sender, and whether or
> not the ubiquitous block of legalspeak (this message is for its intended
> recipient only.....) is legally binding if it has been appended to a
> message.
>
> Curt Lieneck
> Director of Information Technology
> University of Chicago Laboratory School