Friday, February 13, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills

The problem as I see it is we are not teaching concepts, how and when
to use headers and footers, how to use footnote and endnotes and so on
we are teaching Microsoft Word, or OpenOffice or what have you. We are
teaching people to be what I call "5 step computer users"

You have all encountered these users, they are the ones with the five
steps written out on sticky notes and stuck to the monitors of their
computers. If the computer of program ever does anything unexpected or
if they ever need to do something outside the 5 steps they are lost.

I knew of a school that prided itself on the excellent college
preparation it gave its students. Yet its technology courses were
little more than teaching the students to be secretaries. They were
fine so long as they never had to encounter a new program, or, heavens
forbid, an operating system other than Windows. They were training up
5 step computer users, Just like all the teachers and administrators.

Greg