Sunday, February 15, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills

How about the changes on the horizon--I'm thinking voice
recognition--- the innovations are coming fast and furious and we
need to teach kids how to be strong critical thinkers, creative,
ethical.......I fully recognize that any "computer how to" that I
teach them right now will be old and quaint by the time they get to
college---I do teach them how to create a bibliography--but the
formatting using a word processor is so not the point---I'm teaching
them to be academically honest-Microsoft Word is just a glorified
typewriter that allows them to demonstrate that they know how to cite
sources.

On the other hand, I am interested in getting kids exposed to
technology so that they can get jazzed about potential outlets for
their creativity and possible further study/careers.

One last thought, my husband is in IT--he goes into companies and
analyzes their business processes so he can deliver customized IT
that will meet their business needs and be useable by their
workforce. If he does his job well, anyone can use the technology as
an adjunct to their primary role ---they don't have to become
techies---the accountants are still accountants, the engineers are
still engineers.....Isn't this where technology is going---tech
solutions that meet human needs and interface easily? So don't we
need to educate future accountants, IT folks, engineers, small
business owners, artists, teachers, CSA managers, etc......to be good
communicators across disciplines rather than strong users of off the
shelf computer packages?

Deb