Sunday, February 15, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Norman Constantine <
nconstantine@wakefieldschool.org> wrote:

> On the music issue.....or any other issue really........can we not allow
> students to ask how to make the music they like......and hence the
> progressions that they need........digital tools are very good at producing
> sounds......some believe at least as good as any analog tool (instruments)
> that exist.........should we teach people to make music with them using 21st
> century tools instead of older century analog tools? I dont know the
> answer....i just wish i did.

Hmm...so are you perhaps implying that my colleagues in the Performing Arts
Department should stop giving courses in Music Theory, because all of that
old chord progression and chord structure stuff that's been with us for
centuries is going to go away now that anyone can put together something in
GarageBand? Are you suggesting that books that help teach piano and guitar
are out of date because the kids will either figure it out anyway or move on
to the new digital instruments and make their own music?

The fortepiano, and later the pianoforte, did eventually supplant the
harpsichord, but it took a long time, and for a lot of that time they
coexisted. And, the skills that were useful with the harpsichord are easily
transferable to the piano, the organ, or a modern synthesizer. Chromatic
keyboard skills remain basially the same, no matter what form the instrument
takes. Once you've gained them on one, you can easily move to another - but
you have to gain them on one first. This is the same argument I've been
making with word processing. It doesn't matter whether you learn the skills
first in WordStar, Pages or on a Smith-Corona; once you have the basic
skills from one method, it's easier to apply them to whatever new one comes
along.
--

keg

Keith E Gatling
mailto:keith@gatling.us
http://www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.