Saturday, February 14, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills elementary school

I'm in a pre K -6 school teaching grades 5 and 6. We think of
computer technology as a tool in the classroom---it is no different
from a pencil, a ruler, protractor, calculator or microscope. Just as
I don't do stand alone lessons in 5/6 on the use of a calculator--
instead imbedding the learning about a particular calculator function
in the appropriate math lesson---I don't do stand alone instruction
with computers. Students see me using computers in many different
ways as I teach the class and they have opportunities to use this
tool for multiple purposes in the classroom.

When I was in high school, classmates who were so inclined were
learning programming using punch cards--I never took that class--and
I can find my way around a computer just fine now. Kids are amazing
users and innovators when given new tools---I can sit kids down in
front of Alice (www.Alice.org), a "3D programming environment...meant
to be kids first exposure to object oriented programming..." without
any hints or instruction. Within a couple of class periods they are
showing me their virtual worlds. I find the same to be the case for
word processing and presentation software. My students pick up on the
spreadsheet packages and visual organizing software with a bit more
scaffolding---but I think that is because in those cases their brain
power is split between the technology and learning new concepts in
math and organizing expository writing.

I would also note that not all of my students have access to
technology at home.

Regards,

Deb Hazen

> As always, the discussion here is fascinating and it seems led by
> people
> working with middle and high school students. I'd love to know what
> elementary teachers think in these discussions. The loftier the
> language
> and goals stated, the more I think the speaker is forgetting some
> basic
> steps in a student's learning about computers that occur prior to high
> school. I wonder what fundamental concepts and mental structures
> need to
> be built (and skills developed) before students can be the
> adaptable 21st
> century learners described in this discussion.
>
> Young children think concretely and sometimes grasp the whole
> better when
> it is broken down into parts. Yes, my school still teaches word
> processing in a stand alone fashion (and keyboarding and other
> discrete
> skills), not as much as we used to, but without this emphasis on
> writing
> by itself, the written component of a multimedia presentation is
> weakened.
> Students rush towards graphics, audio, and video while building web
> pages. They jot off hasty, ill-considered responses on blogs.
> Sticking
> with language in a word processor helps them learn to focus on
> ideas and
> content first. This year I halted a multimedia web publishing
> project,
> sent every fourth grader back to Word to refine their thinking and
> language, then returned to creating and publishing multimedia web
> pages
> using iWeb after they reached an acceptable level of clarity in
> their text
> comments. Our time spent in Word included lots of editing and
> formatting
> work that yielded presentable print documents. I can't imagine word
> processors going away anytime soon.
>
> In response to comments about the five-step user, I also feel in early
> learning about computers there is a lot of pressure to provide
> handouts,
> even though these end up being single-use documents. Young
> children need
> lots of support and clearly identified small, manageable steps.
> Sometimes
> this looks like instruction focused just on skills, and sometimes
> it is
> mini-lessons to move along a bigger project.
>
> Students as young as first grade already fit the contrasting
> profiles of
> five step users wanting manuals and those who adapt to feedback while
> using a computer. Some students who start out as five-step users soon
> gain the confidence and proficiency to work well with less external
> support, but some never do in the six years that I teach them. I
> don't
> expect that every young student has a strong built-in technology
> instinct
> or intelligence, and I hope there are opportunities in the future for
> those who don't shine with technology. All of these children have
> gifts,
> talents, and strengths of one kind or another.
>
> Greg Stevens
> Lower School Coordinator of Instructional Technology
> MICDS
> St. Louis, MO
>
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
> attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
>

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L