Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills

When I took a music history class in college, the college professor showed
us that random note patterns made by a machine is a type of music. It may
not be anything we were used to, but it was a "type" of music. When I
listened to it, it didn't make any sense, but it did redefined music for me.

In the "Le Sacre du Printemps" by Igor Stravinsky, the dissonance of the
chords in the music caused a classical music riot. This type of music did
lead to music used in films (Jaws). From this information, he discussed how
the idea of how electronic noise was music, and he compared it Stravisnky's
dissonance.


On 2/17/09 10:18 AM, "Bill Ivey" <bivey01370@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I, for one, am indeed ready to, well, not so much redefine music as
> allow for the possibility that it could simply be random note patterns
> generated by a machine. I believe this has, in fact, been done. I'll
> concede that I am a big fan of John Cage, and will often work chance
> music into the aesthetics units my Humanities class. Questions along
> the lines of "What is music?" can lead to so many differing opinions,
> and so much rich conversation.
>
> Take care,
> Bill Ivey
> Stoneleigh-Burnham School

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L