Saturday, February 14, 2009

Re: 21st Century Computer Skills

Would we find t acceptable to have "5 step divers" that is we teach
people to drive only one kind of car in only one kind of condition? So
if it should rain or snow or should other drivers on the road do
something unexpected they would be unable to cope? Would we accept
that people have stickily note in cars telling them how to start them,
how to put them into gear and how to work the accelerator.

I don't expect students to need to know how to program computers, but
I think it reasonable to expect that they can take a skill learned on
one program or platform and be able to apply it ton another. Which is
why we force our students to us a different OS every time they come
into the computer labs.

I have worked in hospitals around well educated people, some very
bight, who are incapable of dealing with even the slightest change in
a computer. If they were to approach driving, an act no less complex
if you think about it, as they do computers we would all be in danger
upon the roads.