Thursday, November 6, 2008

Re: teachers becoming students for a day

Excellent idea, Stewart; I think schools should do this more often. Kudos
to you guys, and to everyone else doing it.
I have been doing this activity all fall, as a sabbatical project; not
internally but rather externally, at other schools (13 so far, aiming for 25
total). I spend an entire day at each school, shadowing a student, usually
an 11th grader.

From my experience, a few thoughts: Absolutely try to conduct yourself as a
student, following a regular student schedule, going class to class and
sitting in student seats, (near the back). I think it is great to do it by
shadowing a student, (just ask kids to volunteer to escort you). In my
experience, the students will feel delighted to be your guide (and won't
feel stalked), and they can be a continuous reference for you about the
student perspective. Ask them questions, look over their shoulders as they
take notes, watch as as they organize their materials, observe their own
emotional reactions to their learning environments-- make the experience in
part a vicarious day in their life.

Another suggestion I would make is that the student-for-the-day take notes
consistently throughout the day. This might be just the kind of learner I
am, but I know that I am much more analytical and much more perceptive when
I am converting the observations in my head into written words, and I retain
much, much more from the experience. I provide myself a small set of things
to look for and questions I am asking myself, things like what are the best
practices happening here, how effectively is the class using technology, how
engaged do I feel and how interested am I in what we are learning and what
is the teacher doing to enhance this? I write down the answers to these
questions in real time.

Now the last thing I'd add might seem crazy, but consider taking it a step
further-- as you experience the day as a student, don't just write down
notes on your observations, but publish them into a blog or wiki, even as a
live-blog you post continuously through the day. Obviously, in this case
your written comments are limited to the positive and the constructive (you
aren't going to criticize the teaching of your colleagues publicly!), but
that is OK-- we all know that praise and positive reinforcement can be
highly valuable for both motivation and for improvement. And this broadens
the experience-- your colleagues who haven't had the experience yet will
read along and learn so much more about what is happening in other
classrooms, and especially learn about the really good things happening
elsewhere on campus. It can create good fodder for follow-up conversations
in the faculty room.

This practice-- student shadowing and live-blogging-- is what I have been
doing all fall, and it has been an absolutely awesome professional
development tool for myself. Highly recommended.
Jonathan
--
Jonathan E. Martin, MA, M.Div.
(925) 286-5993 (cell)