Thursday, November 6, 2008

Re: Student Time Management

We have encouraged students to create rescuetime.com accounts so they =
can monitor their time usage. It isn't a control software but it does =
offer some perspective on just how many minutes a day they IM, play =
games, surf the web etc. Basically it is a little systray app that =
monitors the active window and the compiles stats on a website for you.
=20
I use it myself just because I like to keep track of where I'm spending =
my time without having to think about it.
=20
For persistent problems we'll install a VNC client on student machines =
so we can monitor them directly if they get that glazed over look (this =
generally isn't until the 3rd offense). We also offer some training to =
teachers regarding controls for games so they can look out for hands on =
the arrow keys or asdw keys as well as space bar clicks or rapid mouse =
movement. This, along with having teachers peak in the back of the =
rooms as they walk by has helped (but by no means solved the problem).
=20
The goal, of course, is to get the students self modulating their =
computer usage so we tend to focus on stuff that gives feedback instead =
of creating restrictions.
=20
-Jonathan
Eastside Preparatory School