Monday, November 3, 2008

Re: Network Monitoring Tools

We use Intermapper from Dartware. It's a little pricey, but very simple. =
It runs on Windows, Linux, & OS X.=20

Regards,

Bill Griscom

Director of Information Services
Lancaster Country Day School
725 Hamilton Road
Lancaster, PA 17603-2491
717.392.2916 x. 246
griscomb@lancastercountryday.org

>>> Matt Burkhardt <mlb@imparisystems.com> 10/30/2008 6:14 PM >>>
If you;re running Linux on a server, you can use Nagios and Splunk -
both great products and both free and open source!

Nagios' got plug-ins that will automagically draw out your network,
whether it's a LAN or WAN, can do very sophisticated network management
and Splunk is great for going through logs from several different
servers / systems / switches / routers in real time and at once.

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 17:32 -0500, Kristopher Baker wrote:

> All,=20
>=20
> Thank you for keeping this public. We use Untangle - which is largely =
free - for our content management, and it allows for protocol control and =
firewall, but it does not allow for sophisticated traffic monitoring. =
That said, it does report violations of our protocol/firewall/web =
filtration rules by IP address and machine name, and we've found that to =
be helpful in tracking down problems.
>=20
> -Kristopher Baker
>=20
>=20
>=20
> -=3D+=3D-
> =20
> Kristopher "KC" Baker
> Director of Information Technology
> Miller School of Albemarle
> 1000 Samuel Miller Loop
> Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
> kcbaker@millerschool.org=20
> (434) 823-4805 ext. 246
>=20
>=20
> Sherry,
>=20
> You asked for some free\inexpensive network monitoring tools. I have =
used
> GFI LanGuard network monitoring tool which does a great job. You can =
down
> load a free test version at www.gfi.com.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> We use SonicWall pro 3060 as our firewall and it monitor the network as
> well. Like you, I have a network monitor provided by my ISP. When I =
notice
> the Internet slowing down, I check the ISP monitor. Next, the Sonicwall
> logs all network traffic so I can see by IP address who is using the
> bandwidth. Once I have an IP number, I use Netscan, a free tool that =
scans
> the network and reports netbios names along with an IP number. Using =
these
> two tools together I can find who or what is using the bandwidth.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Hope this helps!!
>=20
> LCDR Mike Logan
> Director of Technology
> Missouri Military Academy
> 204 N Grand Street
> Mexico, MO USA 65265
> 573.581.1776 ext. 428
>=20
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L=20
>=20
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L=20

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President