Monday, July 7, 2008

Re: help requested on school librarianship

Hi, Tom
I don't see your email here to reply off-list, so I'll answer briefly.

First, you may want to consider LM-Net, a listserv for just school
library folk. Additionally, ALA/AASL has a section for Independent
School librarians which is very fun and very active, a fabulous network
to add to your arsenal of resources. We just met in Anaheim during Ala
last week - old friends and new ideas. We've been collaborating on a
PGP for NAIS, which we hope will be accepted in the fall. And, there is
AISL, in independent group with a listserv of private school librarians
with overlap to ISS but a smaller membership and mission.

I just began the process of compiling a book about independent school
libraries and librarians, which won't really help your paper but is an
exciting prospect as there has been nothing in print for 20 years.
I hope to hear from you again and will further consider how to answer
your questions.

Dorcas Hand
Annunciation Orthodox School
Houston TX