Thursday, May 15, 2008

Re: email retention policy

As we do not have a school provided email server or provide email
accounts to students or faculty our policy is that we do not retain
emails of students or faculty. There is one single school controlled
email account used for sending notices to families I have set that
account to retain emails for two months.

There is a misconception that schools are under some kind of legal
requirement to retain data of this kind. You are not so required
unless you are party to a legal action. Just as with any legal action
destroying evidence once the action begins is not permitted this
applies to data as well as physical evidence. But outside of a legal
proceeding you are under no legal requirement to retain data.

In our case we offer no email or file networked file storage for
either students or faculty so there is simply nothing for us to retain
even in the event of a legal action. So request for email records
would have to be made to the student's or faculty member's email
provider we simply have on email server to search.

Greg