Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Re: sophos question

I've implemented Sophos at two schools (in both cases replacing Symantec).

I have found it to be a wonderful multi-platform A/V solution with excellent
centralized management (for rollout, reporting, and remediation). When we
rolled it out, I asked for the tool to uninstall the previous A/V software
and was given clear, simple instructions and a few files to copy into the
central installation directory. The initial rollout worked beautifully.

I will echo the comments about load -- the only time the client software
puts any load on the computer is during the update. Other than that, it
seems to have less impact on the machine than other A/V software I have
used.

One other comment -- I have found on my MacBook that the on-access scanner
seems to interfere with some of Apple's digital editing tools (iMovie & iDVD
in particular). I have gotten in the habit of turning off on-access
scanning before doing serious work in either of those applications. I don't
know if you'll have the same problem with Windows Movie Maker.

One final note: I just read today in Information Week that GE has recently
replace over 350,000 seats of Symantec with Sophos.

Christopher

--
Christopher Butler
Academic Technology Director