Sunday, December 16, 2007

Re: Ebooks

We have some e-books -- electronic versions of our reference books from GALE (mostly upper school) and from Marshall Cavendish (mostly middle school). The one that gets the most use is Opposing Viewpoints from GALE. In addition, WorldBook Online now supplies electronic access to hundreds of online books (mostly classics and "new classics." As long as you have bought the access and keep up with it, there should not be a problem with licensing. If you mean purchasing one copy of an ebook and installing it on many computers, I do not know much about that.? The most critical part of ebook use, I think, is teaching access and use -- just like any other research tool. THey do not get used if the users do not know they are there. I spend a great deal of time publicizing them over and over again.

Judith Lewis, Library Director
Moses Brown School, in Providence, RI