Saturday, December 15, 2007

Re: Best English lessons with one-to-one laptops

This is an approach I used when working as an English
teacher, and on sites I have set up for other people,
and it can work either as group chat or as a blogging
exercise (5 mins to write a post, 5 mins to comment on
classmate's posts) -- Or, you can have students blog
as part of the HW assignment, and open the class with
a comment session. This works on a variety of levels,
as the process of reading their classmates blogs, and
commenting on them, exposed them to ideas about the
subject matter that they might not have seen, which
subsequently prepared them for a higher-level
conversation (as the first few minutes of class time
would have been spent conveying similar info).
Teachers can also skim the blogs before class to get a
better sense of where students are with their work.
It's also worth noting that this strategy can work in
any discipline, not just language arts.

However, as Alex points out, this simply
improves/streamlines something many teachers are
already doing. This becomes a more powerful tool when
the effects are felt over time: better discussions
nearly every day, more student-led learning (as
students quickly realize that they learn from their
peers as well as their teachers), and, most
importantly, a track record of what they have
learned/thought throughout the year. I always loved
having students read their September blogs in May.

While 1:1 isn't necessary to do this, it certainly
simplifies the process.

I should also point out that my approach assumes each
student has access to a blog and a chat application,
something I set up and ran in Drupal.

Cheers,

Bill
--- Kristen Dennison <kristen.dennison@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Someone (my apologies to the person for not
> remembering who you are!)
> earlier this year described a great way to start the
> class using IM or
> Chat - the students were in small groups and had to
> "Chat" via the
> computer for about 5 - 10 minutes about the reading
> and then had to
> email the teacher a summary of the discussion. It
> sounded like a great
> way to get everyone (even shy students) instantly
> involved and
> connected in the reading. Maybe someone else
> remembers the exact
> details.
>
> Kristen Dennison

Be a better friend, newshound, and