Thursday, December 13, 2007

Re: POE Access points

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:35:01 -0500, Carl Campion <cscampion@comcast.net> wrote:
<snip>
>I can use a recommendation on a Power Over Ethernet wireless access
>point.

<snip>

I highly recommend the Cisco Aironet 1200 series POE APs. We have over 100
and they are bullet proof. Also, if you do any VLANing with the wireless
network they handle this nicely. Try that with a cheaper AP!

We also use software from Airwave to manage the configuration of our AP's.
The software isn't cheap, but it pays for itself many times over by making
the management of the AP's configuation and firmware upgrades almost
trivial. We run the Airwave product on a VMware server--while we now use
VMware's ESX server, the free VMware Server worked fine. It saves the cost
of having to dedicate a box to the software.

--
Tom Phelan
Director of Technology