Thursday, December 13, 2007

Re: POE Access points

Two points of clarity before a recommendation:

1) Do you use a VOIP phone system? If so, the manufacturer is going to
have a set of certified APs that will work with their wireless handsets,
so I would work off that list in case you want to go down that road.

2) Are you looking to do a wide deployment, and if so are you interested
in dumb radios with smart controllers? If so, the question becomes much
harder to answer.

If both of those are a no, my recommendation for a simple AP that works
well in schools for secondary deployments (where wireless is an
ancillary form of access) is the Netgear WG102. It supports POE, VLANs,
multiple SSIDs, auto-channel, auto-signal, RADIUS, and the whole menu of
encryption protocols, and they're plenum rated, all for about $100. The
only problem with them is that they're not easily centrally managed.
You basically configure them individually through a web interface, which
is fine if you have < 10.