Friday, December 14, 2007

Re: Best English lessons with one-to-one laptops

Hi Patt and ISED-L Colleagues,

One of the best advantages of 1-to-1 is that every child has all the
resources necessary at his/her fingertips for writing, revising,
researching, organizing, studying, etc. Also when I was at The Peck
School we found students really "owned" their computers, they enjoyed
organizing their work, they became better typists, and they were
better students/writers/researchers. The decentralization of
resources and the ability to do your work at any place, at home or
school or your grandmother's, and the home to school connection and
communication were also prime benefits. Plus there is a level
playing field for all students - everyone has the same computer,
everyone has the same resources (including teachers), no
compatibility issues, homework can be assigned without a worry of
"who has a computer? who has the software?"

Here is a link to some language arts blogs from Anne Davis:
http://adavis.pbwiki.com/Language+Arts+Examples

While not specifically about 1-to-1, these examples are about using
technology, and when you add 1-to-1 to the mix it just deepens the
possibilities.

Pamela

On Dec 14, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Patricia Moser wrote:

> Friends,
>
> We are exploring the possibility of a one-to-one laptop program at our
> school. Part of that exploration involves educating ourselves about
> what
> new and great things we might be able to do in our classrooms if
> all of
> our students have laptops. In January, I will be making a
> presentation
> to our upper school English department who are mostly skeptical about
> the idea of one laptop per student. I want to show them some great
> lessons that English teachers in other schools have done with a 1:1
> program. These lessons could be for just plain laptops or for
> tablets.
> If you know of a great lesson, could you send me a brief description?
> If you send them to me off-list I will be happy to compile them
> into one
> long list for anyone who is interested: moserp@sidwell.edu. Thanks so
> much for your help!
>
> Happy Holidays.
>
> Patt Moser, Director of Information Services and Upper School Head
> Librarian
> Sidwell Friends School
> 3825 Wisconsin Ave. NW
> Washington D.C. 20016
> Tel: 202-537-8164
> Mobile: 202-595-4941
> Fax: 202-537-8174
> Email: moserp@sidwell.edu
> Web: http://www.sidwell.edu/upper_school/library.asp

Pamela Livingston
livingstonp@mac.com
Author of "1-to-1 Learning: Laptop Programs That Work"
writer, presenter, consultant
Web: http://www.pamelalivingston.com
Blog: http://1-to-1learning.blogspot.com